This may not be the cheeriest topic you’ll find on a blog, but it is, I think, a timely one. You know we boomers have never been ones to step back and let others take over from us.
Hang in there you poor Millennials, we’ll step aside one day, but we’ve still got a lot to do.
Okay, so we’re going to make them wait a bit, but you don’t want them to have to take care of us when they finally get to be boss. It isn’t a fair thing to do, besides, you know, there are still things to do, and you can’t do them if you can’t think.
About 27% of us will get Alzheimer Disease
I know. Depressing! But wait, not one-hundred percent, only twenty-seven percent.
Only about the quarter of the elderly populations get Alzheimer Disease? But what about Auntie Mildred, and Great Uncle John and most of those poor ones in long term care?
The Majority of Dementias are not Caused by Alzheimer Disease.
That’s right! And unlike Alzheimers, you can take actions to keep from developing many of these other types dementia. I recently picked up Dr. Antoine Hakim’s book called Save Your Mind. Dr. Hakim is a prominent Canadian Neurologist, and he firmly believes that we can stave off non-Alzheimer Dementia by doing seven things.
- Control you blood pressure. Strokes, even those tiny TIAs hurt your brain/mind. Your brain needs a lot of energy to function, which means you need to get nutrients to it. Hardening of the arteries, doesn’t help you. So take care of vascular issues
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Lay off the sugars, and don’t go overboard on the fats
- Learn something new all the time. Read and write. That’s right, writers, you’re helping your brain. Make art. Heck, make anything.
- Don’t smoke.
- Exercise regularly – Walking is good.
- Care about other people and have some good friends who care about you.
- Find a way not to be sad for long. Depression hurts in more ways than one.
Not so bad, eh? You’re doing all these things already aren’t you?
If you’re not, consider it. It’s not to late to start and you don’t want to burden all those hard working young uns.
Above is a drawing I made of my little sister. Here she is as a young beauty.